Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Serger Problems??????

What a fun day!  I have been doing tight rolled hems on long rayon Batik scarves for the past two days.  The ironic thing is that I am almost done producing my CD and DVD on 'Making Friends with your Serger'....and I spent several hours today cussing mine out and being very frustrated.  I rarely ever have serger issues, so maybe this happened to make me understand my customers' frustrations better.

Brought the Serger from home today (I had been working at home on a project last weekend) and when I plugged the Serger in, it appeared not to be getting power.  After 10 minutes of plugging and unplugging, checking the power strip, back up battery surge protector etc,  I realized the only thing wrong was that my bulb had evidentally burned out!   I never actually tried to sew on it, just assumed that because there was no light, there was no power....WRONG. 

Then when I changed thread colors, I forgot to reset the lower loop tension...when I tried to sew everything got icky.  Spent about 20 minutes fixing the threading problems and then realized what I had done.  Started to do rolled hem on scarf and top thread broke and messed up again.  Fixed it and re-threaded and two minutes later it broke again.....this was like a 3 Stoogies movie or something....then I discovered I had a bad spool of serger thread (it happens).  Every yard or so the thread was cut on the spool.  Maybe it came that way or maybe I knicked it with the scissors when I removed the wrapping.....anyway, I now have a better appreciation of all your frustrations out there in Sewing Land.  Maybe the Sewing Fairies though I was getting too smarty pants about never having serger problems and decided to give me a hard time!

No comments:

Post a Comment